Recently, I’ve been reading a slew of stories, articles, and friends’ comments on childbirth. Everyone appears to have a very strong stance on this topic. Many of my friends are strong supporters of “natural” births with some of them proclaiming home-births are the only way to do it.
If you’ve had your child/children naturally without any medication and/or at home without any “interventions”: that’s awesome.
Do you know what isn’t awesome? Alluding to or outright declaring that all births should be drug free and have no medical interventions.
God did not create all women the same. He did not make all women capable of having drug and intervention-free births.
I for one am tired of having to justify my three C-sections. I am in labor for the last 3 months of my pregnancy: I don’t get to skip the curse of childbirth pain. And with each of by sons, it was never a lack of desire to have a natural birth. But in God’s sovereignty, He gave me a pelvis completely incapable of naturally birthing children.
God did however enable doctors to know how to safely deliver babies via surgery and thus saving the lives of both baby and mother. On a daily basis, I thank and praise the Lord that I live in the era I live in. A little over one hundred years ago, the mortality rate of a C-section was around 85%. With those odds, all three of my sons, along with myself, would be dead. The boys would have been strangled trying to come out and I would have died of blood loss and infection.
My point is this:
Please, if you love your natural birth(s), share them freely but without condemning those of us who cannot have them. Do not dogmatically say all births need to be intervention free and/or at home. God has different plans for all of us. We, as humans, shouldn't contradict what God planned for each of us before time began.
6 comments:
Great post Holly. Thank you for being so bold and sharing. Love you so much.
Thank you for this post Hol, I think you are so right!! Often in our zeal for something we make it a spiritual issue and dogma, when it really isn't. Grace comes in many forms and we should receive it with thankfulness and joy. Carrying and delivering children is a hard work no matter how its done. Our focus should always be on the glory of God; no matter which method we implement. Love ya girl!!
I'm with you Holly. As a veteran of four complicated pregnancies , including a c-section after weeks of bed rest and secondary infertility successfully treated with the use of fertility drugs I have no tolerance for people who make blanket statements about the " proper way" to conceive or give birth.Our gracious Heavenly Father has granted us a varity of medical information to use to improve our lives.
Children are a blessing, pursue your blessing.
Holly,
Thanks for the common sense. We need to let our preferences be preferences and not attach "thus saith the Lord" where the Scriptures are silent. If anyone disagrees with you, they should read Romans 14.
You are so right on, Holly! There is no shame in receiving medical help. This is a gift and a blessing! Praise God for all His good gifts!
Amen! I'm all for giving each family the freedom in following their own decisions that best suit their needs. This whole "everyone lives by the beat of the same drum" really gives me mini panic attacks that eventually feel like one big social media heart attack! I think this is the main reason I spend way less time trolling through my FB feed. Its just all too much and people who want to tell everyone what to do and how to do it drive me nuts.
What I would personally love is to hear MORE C-Section stories. The good ones and less of the "I was talked into an unnecessary one by my Dr". I'm so curious about what you ladies go through, starting with the emotions involved all the way down to the actual experience.
So maybe sometime you could share more about that! I'm always picking my Mom's brain/memories about hers :)
Post a Comment