April 12, 2008

Animal Rights vs. Human Rights

I just got an e-mail beseeching me to sign a petition for animal rights and to "stop the cruelty" animals are oppressed with. Yesterday at Costco there was a table in front of the entrance/exit asking me to sign a petition to ban veal and the "inhumane" treatment of the calves.
I have one simple question: Where are all the petitions to save the lives of unborn children? As a Christian, a soon-to-be-mom, and a nurse I can't stand the fact that most people are more preoccupied with saving whales, dolphins, dogs, cats, etc over saving the lives of the next generation.
I'll get off my soapbox now. I ask one thing of you though: The next time someone asks you to sign a petition for animals ask them where the petition is to save our unborn children.

2 comments:

laura said...

You can just be like Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt - they say they won't get married until everyone in the US who *wants* to be married, can (read: gay marriage). When we give unborn children the kind of protection they deserve (hello - God given right to life, much?), then we can talk about animal rights.

That said - chicken that's been treated well tastes better than chicken that's been treated poorly. ;-)

Stef said...

AMEN!