September 15, 2014

My Thoughts of Late

I read this quote on a friend's blog and thought I'd share it.
"What I need as a mother is grace. God’s grace, that allows me to fail and try again, that allows me to ask for help when I don’t have the wisdom or patience that I need, that reminds me we’re not alone in this, and that God loves my son(s) even more than I do.
And grace from other mothers. I need grace and truth-telling and camaraderie from other moms. I need us to tell the truth about how hard it is, and I need us to help each other, instead of hiding behind the pretense and pressure of perfection.
There are some moments these days, since the miscarriage, when I feel like a failure because my body isn't able to do what so many other women’s bodies can. I see them with their kids, a year apart, one after another. That will never be true for me and for our family...But what has healed me more than anything else are the stories of other women who have experienced similar things. I’ve needed grace, and I’ve needed women who share their sorrows with me, and allow me to share my own." ~ Shauna Niequist
I really needed to read this quote tonight. As I was praying with Caleb before bed tonight, I was pouring out my heart and tears to the Lord. He reminded me of His continual grace which He extends to me: His overwhelming, never-ending grace!
The last couple of months have been really hard for me. I've needed more of God's grace and strength as I've been battling against remaining in grief after losing another one of our precious children. We now have a total of 9 children: Evan, Blessed Hope, Noah, Shiloh, Olivia, Caleb, Edena, Levi and Ezra. It's amazing to think that I am the mother of many, though I won't get to hold all my children this side of heaven. My homecoming will be that much sweeter when I finally get to meet these little ones and praise our Savior for all eternity!
As mothers, we grow so weary under the pressure of appearing to be perfect: we need to cast off this false image and idol. Instead, let's bear each other's burdens and lift them up in prayer to our Lord and Maker.
Please let me know how I can be praying for you and the burdens of your heart.

5 comments:

Nicola said...

This was beautiful Holly. Thank you for sharing from your heart. I long to meet my nieces and nephews in heaven! What an amazing reuion it will be with our own siblings and your children and Jess' children. I look forward to the day.
I needed to read this tonight. I'm not sure how to put it into words right now, but I need prayer with showing my girls a loving and graceful woman. Because Christ loves me even when I fail over and over. My deepest prayer for my girls is that they grow into women who love Jesus with everything in their being and that the grace of God shines forth in every fiber of their beings.
I love you so much Holly. I'm praying for you and know that even though many mile separate us I'm just a phone call away. Hugs my dear sister.

Nicola said...

*reunion*

Erin said...

Sweet love to you, Holly! The Lord is near to you, and knows your sorrows. (BUT THEY ARE STILL SORROWS!)
I have Shauna's book "Bittersweet" and still need to read it. I bet you would like it too. I think it is mainly about the grief of miscarriages, and the live around it.
She touched a bit about it in her book that I have read already, Bread and Wine, which I loved.
Hugs to you!!

Melissa Joy said...

I just saw this now, Holly. I wish I could have you over for a visit. Seriously. (((hugs))) May peace be with you in this season of Advent especially, where longing & joy intersect in a truly tangible way.

Stef said...

loved this. true beauty right here.